Can my husband be fired it he couldn’t get to work because of weather?

My husband worked for a warehouse through a placement agency for nearly 6 months. No benefits, no vacation or sick time. We got 12 inches of snow last Wednesday and lost power heat and water for the second time in 2 weeks. My husband texted his boss that we had 12 inches of snow and no power heat or water Thursday morning; he would not be in that day but he would be in on Friday. He received a phone call later Thursday saying his services were no longer required. Prior to that, he had been commended for being an excellent employee and I believe this was jealousy from his immediate supervisor. My husband says there’s nothing to be gained by arguing and he’ll just look for another job. Is he right or should we try to fight this?

Asked on November 13, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, New Jersey


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I feel for your situation but your husband may not have any recourse here. Unless this action violates his former employer's own company policy, is a form of actionable discrimination, or is prohibited by virtue of an employment/union agreement, then his discharge was perfectly permissable. In an at-will employment relationship, an employer can set the terms and conditions of employment much as it sees fit. This includes the discharge of employees for any reason or no reason at all.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.