If my husband was supposed to pay me half of a savings he had 9 years ago, is it too late to collect?

He did not pay it, and could I collect it now with the amount of savings there might have been over the years. We were married 20 years, and he met someone else and suddenly wanted a divorce. He now lives in million dollar community and I am struggling,

Asked on June 8, 2012 under Family Law, Idaho


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your situation.  Pleae seek consultation from legal aid or an attorney in your area to confirm this information.  The divorce agreement is a contract and suing based upon the terms of the contracy is possible if done with in the time frame prescribed by law, which is known as a statute of limitations.  It appears that the staute of limitations for a written contract is 6 years in Idaho, which is where you are writing from.  So an action could be time barred depending.  That is why I want you to check.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.