If my husband was removed from the home due to an order of protection but he hasn’t come to court or removed his belongings, what can I do?

It’s been 3 months.

Asked on May 27, 2012 under Real Estate Law, New York


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

He cannot come to remove his belongings because he has an order of protection; he doesn't want to risk arrest. At this point, you need to figure out through your attorney or his attorney the best approach (police may also be able to help as a civil escort for your husband) to get his belongings. You may be able to arrange through these third parties to be out of the home when he can come in to remove his belongings and I am sure you can arrange to have either the police there or someone to ensure he doesn't take anything of yours. If he is in contempt of court, that is something your lawyer would need to take up through the divorce proceedings. If you wish to wait for the divorce to be finalized, the final resolution of his belongings can also be handled through the divorce decree.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.