If my husband was on SS when he was incarcerated and now his benefits have been cut off his benefits, since he worked for this money how can they stop sending it to him?

They are saying he has to pay back $4600. Can they collect what they say he owes them?

Asked on April 23, 2015 under Bankruptcy Law, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

I would speak with ana ttorney and show them the letter.  The law underwhich social security is poid prohibits payment to those incarerated by court order and who are conficed to an institution at the public expense. Generally, though, the payments are suspended and can be applied for again upon release. If they paid him benefits while incarcerated by mistake then he would have to pay them back.  But see if you can collect under him.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.