What can I do about an outstanding warrant?

it’s for a felony.

Asked on July 16, 2015 under Criminal Law, California


Maury Beaulier / MinnesotaLawyers.com

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You really have three choices. (1) Do nothing and wait to get pocked up on the warrant which may mean you spend several days in jail. 

(2) report in on the warrant so that he matter can be called befoe the court in a day or so to set bail or conditions of release.

(3) Hire counsel to determine if the warrant can be stayed and the matter placed back on the calendar or, in the alternative, report early to the jail on a day where you can be called up to court a few hoiurs later. 

For a FREE consultation call 612-240-8005

M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You must deal with this ASAP; warrants do not expire. Considering that felony charges are involved, they is a strong probability that the authorities will come looking for you. So turning yourself in will be in your best interest as opposed to having the police bring you in.

Even if they do not actively search for you, you will always have to worry about this coming up. If could be discovered on employment background check, etc. Or if you are ever stopped by the police for just even speeding or other traffic stop, they will find out about it.

At this point, you need to consult directly with a criminal lawyer who pratices in the area of where the warrant was issued. The sooner the better. They can best advise you further and use their contacts within the local court system to your best advantage.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.