How to get alimony modified or reduced?

My husband was married 25 yearsand then got divorced. He pays alimony but his ex-wife is a nurse and is working again. She was a stay at home mom through most of the marriage. His 2 adult children have finished college and have good paying jobs (i.e. no child support). We were married 2 years ago and just had a child of our own. We want to take her to court to get alimony reduced or eliminated. Do we even have a chance of this happening? We will get a lawyer but wanted to see if it was worthwhile to even try.

Asked on September 24, 2012 under Family Law, Florida


david slater / david p.slater, esq.

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If there has been a substantial  change of circumstances (income), the court may consider a modification of support.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.