If my husband was injured on a job about 3 1/2 years ago, am I entitled to any part of his settlement?

He left me almost 2 years ago. I lost my home and my car. I think he got his settlement because he’s bought a home and a few vehicles for him and his sister. We were married 17 years ago and I haven’t had the money to file for divorce yet. Am I untitled to anything? I’m left in $111,000 debt which I need to file bankruptcy on and now getting bill statements for $7,900 state tax debt and $6,000 IRS on top of that. I need advice because I don’t know what to do.

Asked on November 29, 2015 under Family Law, Florida


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You could afford legal aid and that is where you need to start. You may be entitled to several of his assets and you should file for support, as well as his portion of the marital debt.
Legal aid will most likely be able to help you. You may also try the state bar and see if any local law firms have remaining pro bono hours left to help you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.