What to do if my husband was denied unemployment because his employer said he did not get along with a co-worker?

He and the employee do get along; they said he violated a company rule but there is no employee or policy manual and he was let go with no notice. He was written up once 4 years priorbut nothing since. Is this just cause?

Asked on November 2, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

From what you write, whether or not this would be just cause is a factual question, not a legal one. That is, violating company rules or  policies would be just cause for termination, if such a violation in fact occured. Similarly, a conflict with another employee would be just cause, if such a conflict existed. You can try first appealing the denial of unemployment on the grounds that the stated reasons are untrue; if possible, provide evidence and testimony (e.g. from the other employee) that would contradict the company's claim and bolster your position. If that does not work, you could potentially bring a legal action or lawsuit. You should speak with an attorney who handles unemployment matters--having a lawyer represent you will greatly increase you odds of proving your case and prevailing.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.