What is the law regarding the recording of conversation without consent?

My husband was crossing the road in a loader the bucket was full of concrete pieces He always looks in his mirror to make sure nothing fell out when he gets to the other side. But on his way back across the road he noticed a small piece of concrete on the meridian of the road and scoped it up and took it back across to the other side. About a 6 inch piece he said it was. Well the next day, a women said she saw his loader drop it and she ran over it with her car. Now she says that she can’t use her car. She was recording the conversation at his work place in the office. Without them knowing it or asking if she could do so. Is that legal to use in court against you?

Asked on July 29, 2015 under Personal Injury, Wisconsin


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

In some states recording a conversation is legal if at least one party to the conversation consents to it. In other states, all parties to the conversation must consent to its recording. In WI, unfortunately for your husband, as long as one party agress to recording a conversation then it is legal to do so.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.