What to do if my husband was assaulted at a hotel where he was staying and we’ve been contacted by their insurer but we don’t know what to ask for settlement?

Asked on July 27, 2015 under Personal Injury, Tennessee


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

As a rough rule of thumb, total your out-of-pocket (not paid by insurance) medical bills; lost wages, if any; other out-of-pocket costs (e.g. if you had to hire someone to help you with housekeeping or chores, because your husband was injured); and if your husband suffering some period of disability or life impairment, an amount for "pain and suffering" equal to (more or less) your medical costs; then take 1/3 to 1/2 off for the fact that by settling (instead of having to sue), you get the money fast and without having to spend time and money on litigation. That is  a reasonable approximation of a good settlement figure.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.