How do you go about getting credit for time served?

My husband was arrested but he did not go to court for 7 months. When he did go or sentencing they did not give him credit for time served.

Asked on February 6, 2013 under Criminal Law, Louisiana


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that your husband consult with the criminal defense attorney who was representing him in the matter that you have written about to see why he did not get you credit for time served assuming he was jailed for the time period that you have written about. Another option is to carefully read the sentencing report where credit may have been given.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.