If my husband was arrested for domestic violence even though he never hit me, what can I do?

My husband was arrested for domestic violence for allegedly abusing me and our children. My family called dcf on me and my husband. 2 weeks after he allegedly beat me and dcf took our children and put him in jail. The state is trting to use a recent hospital visit I encountered even though I never authorized the use of my medical records and I’ve alreasy signed a waiver of prosecution. What can I do to help my husband and what can I do to de-victimize myslef when the state is trying to make me victim of something my husband never did?

Asked on July 17, 2012 under Criminal Law, Florida


Anthony Van Johnson / VANJOHNSON LAW FIRM, L.L.C.

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You indicated that your husband was arrested for domestic violence, that DFACS took your children, and that the State is attempting to use evidence from a hospital visit to prosecute your husband.  You also allege that all of the allegations are false.  Well, obviously something is going on.  It is not uncommon for women who are victims of domestic violence to attempt to protect the abuser.  My advice is that you and your husband should immediately retain the services of an attorney, and if there really is domestic violence in your marriage, seek counseling including anger management and domestic violence treatment.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.