What to do if my husband wants our children’s SS cards and birth certificates to apply for low income housing even though the children live with me and I feel uncomfortable about this?

Does he need this information and must I give it to him.

Asked on December 16, 2015 under Family Law, Ohio


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

As the husband/father, if he doesn't get the info from you, he can probably get it from another source.  Most income tax returns have the socials.  As an adult parent, he can request copies of their birth certificates.  You can refuse (unless there is an order which says something different). You seem concerned that he may make an application for an impermissible purpose... however, the liability will be on him not you as long as you don't sign off on anything.  So... if you give him the info... just make sure you don't give him consent to list himself as primary and don't sign any documents regarding the application. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.