My husband wants does not want to be with me because he is Italian and I am Indo-fijian. He wants to be with someone of his orgin.

He said he can not be with a person who is from different culture. I left my family and work to be with this guy and now after 3 years of marriage he wants to move out. His reasons we are from different culture and religion. I had a good job before I met him and was in school. I left my work, family and school to be with this person and married him. Now after all these years he wants to leave me. I am going to school and I can not support myself financially at this moment he wants to leave. Is there a possible way for him to atleast pay for my expense?

Asked on July 6, 2009 under Family Law, California


L.M., Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If he was the main bread winner of your household, you should be able to get some alimony if he seeks a divorce (or if you do).  The fact that your marriage is short-term, however, works against the court granting you alimony long term.  You will need to find a job and support yourself in fairly short order.  You can find a family law attorney who can help you with these issues at or by calling your local bar associaton.  Keep in mind that California is a no-fault divorce state and he will not need to prove any wrong-doing on your part and you cannot provide information on any wrong-doing on his part in order to get alimony or have the court not grant a divorce.

B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You're going to need an attorney, who can work from the unique facts of your case to get you what you deserve under the law.

Your marriage is a short one, so you are not going to get long-term support.  But there should be something to help you make the change to living on your own, if he makes enough money;  there may also be property to be divided.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.