My husband wants a divorce, what can I do?

This is my first marriage. I don’t have a job because I’ve been taking care of our son since he was a baby; he is now 3 years old. My husband wants a divorce but what if I don’t want to sign the divorce or the degree? What can happen to me? I feel like my husband wants to somehow screw me over. He of course wants a lawyer so we can do the decree but I can’t afford my own lawyer and I feel like I need someone to defend me.

Asked on May 20, 2016 under Family Law, Texas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

There are various agencies that provide free legal representation to individuals who qualify. Legal Aid is one of those services. You can also check to see if there is a law school nearby to where you live because they typically run free/low cost clinics that handle divorce cases. Additionally, you can contact the local bar association in your county as it may have a list of attorneys who will take your case "pro bono" (i.e. for free) or for a reduced fee based on your income/circumstances. Further, you can google for women's support groups in your area aand see if can provide a list of attorneys who can help. Finally, try contacting your local Department of Social Services to see if it can refer you to free legal services.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.