Is there any way to reduce the fees and/or court fines due to financial hardship?

My husband took a deal on a possession charge, which included probation, community service and fines. Shortly after he became very ill, was hospitalized or a short time, is under doctor’s care for several conditions and has been permanently disabled by his doctor. We run 2 small businesses, which have very little income at this point and 4 children. We are trying to pay our bills and have only been able to pay a very small amount towards his monthly court fees (which are about $250 a month).

Asked on September 27, 2014 under Criminal Law, Texas


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Your husband can file a petition with the court seeking a modification of his sentence due to financial hardship.  With the petition, he should attach a declaration signed under penalty of perjury stating the facts supporting his petition for a modification of his sentence based on financial hardship.  He should also attach the medical report(s) from his doctor stating that he is permanently disabled.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.