Is there any way for a retiree to get back into a employer insurance planonce they opt out?

My husband retired from working for a city. At the time, our insurance went from $160 per month to $1600 per month, so we got out of the plan. Now the city is changing policies and prices are going to what we can afford. However they are saying that once we opted out we were out forever (even though they made it more affordable).

Asked on December 6, 2010 under Employment Labor Law, Kentucky


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

I really would doubt that you have any standing  - or ability - to be able to opt in to the plan at this stage of the game.  But I would take all the documentation that you have about the retirement to an attorney to review and to see if there can be established any nexus - an inkling of a connection - to the benefits packages offered weighed in conjunction with the benefits as they are paid out to you to presently to allow you to be able to take advantage of this other offering at this late stage of the game.  You need to see if the plan cuts you off forever from the ability to take advantage of new offerings.  I think that it might.  But good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.