What can I do if my husband moved out of state with my son and won’t let me see him?

What can I do to get my son back now; we are not divorced.

Asked on March 24, 2012 under Family Law, North Carolina


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Please seek legal help as soon asyou can.  Technically your husband kidnapped your son and you need to file s proceeding in court for temporary custody and sole physical custody and to force him to bring your son back.  You do not need to file for divorce to bring a custody determination proceeding.  If yours is the child's home state and he took him with out your consent then you have a case.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.