If my husband past away unexpectedly suddenly and did not have a Will, does it have to go through probate or can I just handle things myself?

Asked on June 17, 2014 under Estate Planning, Georgia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss. This is complicated without knowing a little more about his estate First, if he died without a WIll then the intestacy statute will apply. But only those assets that are considered his alone would have to be probated. Any assets that are jointly held between you with rights of survivorship passed to you automatically at the time of his death and are not considered estate assets. If they were all joint then you may have to do nothing in Probate.  If he had minimal assets held alone then maybe a small estate proceeding would apply. I would speak with an attorney on a consultation basis.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.