What to do if my husband passed away at a major medical facility in another state over a year ago after being in the hospital for complications from a stem cell transplant?

Over the weekend he developed an infection in the leg and although he had no immune system, the nurses had a wait and see attitude on it preferring to mark it and watch for further complications since they were short staffed on the weekend and normal staffing wasn’t available for testing. By the time the doctors seen him on Monday he was in distress, they biopsied it, had to send in a trauma team, send him to ICU and he passed a few hours later. I feel if this had occurred during the week he would still be here. He died from sepsis. Should I pursue this?

Asked on January 27, 2013 under Malpractice Law, Michigan


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for the situation.  You should speak with an attorney about the matter and the consultation should be for free.  They will obtain the medical records and determine if there was indeed malpractice.  But the time frame in a lot of state to bring an action  - the statute of limitation - is short.  SO please hurry.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.