What to do if my husband packed his bags and walked out on me 10 days ago but emptied bank accounts and now is telling me “to get out of his house”?

We’ve been together 15 years and married almost 10. Can he demand this?

Asked on January 7, 2013 under Family Law, Wisconsin


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I would first contact a family law attorney as soon as you can for guidance as to how to deal with the situation as well as how to proceed. Since you have had the bank accounts emptied, it makes no sense for you to leave the unit you are living in since the spouse has left.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.