Does chid support paid in another counrty affect the amount of a divorce settlement in the US?

My husband of 15 years, who I am ready to start divorce proceedings, recently told me he fathered a daughter while in Costa Rica from a 1 night stand 10 years ago. Does the child support he pays to the mother in Costa Rica (which he has not told me how much he pays) affect my divorce settlement in any way here in the US. We are both American citizens. By the way, we have 2 children together, 11 and 3 years old.

Asked on September 12, 2012 under Family Law, Nevada


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

In the state of Nevada, the courts follow guidleines enacted by the legislature to determine the amount to be paid in child support.  Now, courts are permitted to adjust the amount a parent is to pay (generally 25% of gross monthly income for two children) by taking in to consiferadtion various factors.  One of these factors in indeed the "The legal responsibility of the parents for the support of others."  How that fits in to the facts of your case is unclear here but I would speak with ana ttorney in your area.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.