If my husband left me 6 months ago and moved out of state and I want to self-file for divorce, how would I arrange for him to be served?

Would he need to come back here for any reason?

Asked on July 20, 2015 under Family Law, Connecticut


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If you know your husband's address, he can be served by a process server, who is in or near the city or town where your husband currently resides. You can find process servers listed under attorney services in the Yellow Pages or online.

If you don't know your husband's address, the process server can do a skip trace to locate him, and then he can be served.

If the process server is unable to locate your husband, you can do service of process by publication which is running a notice in the legal notices section of a newspaper regarding the petition for divorce you have filed with the court.

The required length of time that the notice has to run in the newspaper varies from state to state.  Check with your court clerk to inquire how long the notice has to run for effective service of publication in your state.  Service by publication is effective even if your husband never sees the notice in the newspaper.

Your husband could appear in court in your state, but most likely, he will be allowed to participate in any hearing by telephone without returning to your state.  He would have to file documents with the court requesting a telephonic hearing and those documents need to be timely filed.  Your court clerk can tell you the rules and procedures for telephonic hearings as those rules vary from state to state.  Also, it is up to the discretion of the judge whether or not to allow a telephonic hearing. 


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.