my husband just passed away and i am now on the land that was his i am worried about about someone coming in and trying to make me move.

what can i do to make sure that im protected? Ive been on the property fo 15 years. Plzlet me know what i can do. Who would the property go too? His father willed it to his three sons.If somthing happens then it converts back tothe other two sons

Asked on June 25, 2009 under Estate Planning, Kentucky


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You need to take a copy of your Father in Law's will to an estate attorney immediately.  Did your Husband have a Will?  Did he have any agreement as to the land with his brothers?  Are you renting the property from them?  Did you build a house or are you living in what was left by your Father in Law?  There are too many unanswered questions here and someone would have to read all the necessary documents before they could give you an answer.   If you say that it reverts to your husband's brothers then it would appear you are not protected, but only an attorney in your area would be able to tell you for sure if there is any way you can stay. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.