If my husband is sponsoring his mom’s greencard application and has enough income/assets to meet the requirements for the I -864, do I need to fill in the I-864A as well?

We filed joint taxes last year. Practically speaking, what level of risk is associated with signing a form, especially in the event of a large and unplanned expense incurred by the greencard holder (such as a medical emergency)?

Asked on September 30, 2014 under Immigration Law, District of Columbia


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You do not need to sign the I-864A with your husband if it is his mother that is being petitioned and his income alone suffices for affidavit of support purposes.  You would only need to sign that form if your income is also used in the calculation of the total income.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.