Can my L2 and H1B visa co-exist?

My husband is on L1B visa and I am on L2. I hold an EAD and am currently employed. I am actively looking for a H1B visa sponsor for myself. Assuming that I do get myself a H1B visa, my doubt is, can my L2 and H1B visa co-exist. Once I get my H1B visa, would my L2 EAD still be valid (considering my husband would still be on L1B). Despite having a H1B visa, would I be able to work for any employer across the US using my L2 EAD.

Asked on February 13, 2013 under Immigration Law, California


SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

No, absolutely not.  You can only have one nonimmigrant status at any given time, so if you are in L-2 status, you are in L-2 status and if you change to H-1B, then you will be in H-1B and your L-2 EAD will no longer be valid.  It is not clear to me why you would even consider changing to H-1B if you already have L-2 EAD and can work for any employer.  Why limit yourself to the H-1B which is employer specific?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.