If I moved out of the country, how can I get divorced?

My husband is in prison for attacking me and I want to get divorced from him as quickly as possible.

Asked on November 8, 2011 under Family Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You actually have two potential choices.  If you are out of the country, then you would need to consult with an attorney in that country to see what procedures are required for filing for divorce.  Your second option is to file for divorce in Texas if your husband is imprisoned in Texas.  Jurisdiction can be based on your residency or your spouse's residency.  Texas does not require both parties to live in the same county in order to file for a divorce.  If you return to Texas, and re-establish residency in Texas, then you could file for a divorce in the new county where you reside.  The usual hold-up in any divorce proceeding is getting a respondent (the other side) served with notice of the divorce.  If you can get the paperwork going while he is still in prison, you'll have a much easier time getting him served and getting your divorce finalized.  Considering that he's in prison, he may also agree to waive any future hearings and sign off on a divorce decree.  An attorney that specializes in family law can help you get the paperwork going for a Texas divorce. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.