My husband is in jail for hitting and killing a child. The family of the child is harassing him while he is in jail. What can we do to stop them?

The child ran out of his yard and ran in front of him. The mom was inside not watching her child. she told the police that the child was running after there pet goat. She was not charged with anything and she and the grandparents are harassing my husband in jail. Please tell me what we can do to stop them. He was not the only one at fault.

Asked on June 25, 2009 under Criminal Law, Louisiana


M.S., Member, Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Although I do not practice law in the State of Louisiana, the general rule is that harassment is a crime regardless of whether the alleged victim is an incarcerated prisoner or a regular citizen.  You do not state how these people are harassing  your husband.  Is it via letters, phone calls, visits, etc?  Depending on the method of harassment, and assuming that your husband cannot simply deny any further contact (such as refusing to accept their mail) I suggest that you contact the attorney (even if it was a public defender) who represented your husband in this matter.  If your husband was not represented, you should consult with and/or retain an attorney to determine whether these actions constitute actionable harassment.  Of course, you should keep documentation of all instances of harassment in preparation for meeting with this attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.