What to do if our personal insurance premium is being increased due to an accident that my husband had with a company vehicle?

My husband is a Class A truck driver. A year ago he received a ticket driving company truck, insured under company policy. A few days ago we received a letter from insurance company our own vehicles are insured with. The letter states that, because of that year old ticket, our own insurance premium will be increased. Is this legal?

Asked on September 8, 2012 under Insurance Law, California


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

From the insurance company's perspective, it is not who was the insurance company when the accident occurred but rather who was behind the wheel.  Since the accident was your husband's fault (I assume by the statements made herein), then your personal insurance company has a right to increase the rate. Your best option is to file a complaint with your state's insurance department and indicate this is bad faith coverage. See if anything can be done or appealed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.