If my husband and I are getting divorced after 7 years and he has taken my truck keys from me, am I entitled to my car?

We have 3 vehicles. They’re in his name.

Asked on July 18, 2012 under Family Law, Utah


Russ Pietryga / Pietryga Law Office

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You are entitled to a car. Of course, which car is fact dependent. 

It sounds like you are going to need to file a "Motion for Temporary Orders", requesting, at the very least, temporary use of a vehicle.  You should immediately do the following:

1. File a "Petition for Divorce".

2. File a "Moton for Temporary Orders".

These documents need to be filed in the county in which you reside.  This is the best way to legally get temporary use of the house, car and temporary alimony.  Once you get the temporary orders, you can work on resolving all the issues.

Hope this helps.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.