Can mu husband be sued by his former employer for any petty cash reimbursements long after they were approved?

My husband has turned receipts and was reimbursed via petty cash from his former employer. Any petty cash transactions and reimbursements that occur are submitted in their weekly profits and loss tracking to home office. There has never been any questions about any of the receipts submitted or reimbursements made. After he resigned from his position his approval of another managers’ reimbursement was questioned.

Asked on January 18, 2013 under Employment Labor Law, Tennessee


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country, your husband's former employer has the legal right to sue him for petty cash reimbursements long after they were approved. From what you have written about any lawsuit seems to be in retaliation for your spouse's resignation as an employee and may not have any factual or legal merit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.