If my husband has not been paying me enough to care for the home and kids over the last 4 months, what are my rights?

He has only given me $1600 a month but in recent mediation I was given $2300. Can I go back after the difference over the past 4 months?

Asked on October 21, 2011 under Family Law, Minnesota


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You can take legal action against him to enforce the terms of any settlement agreement or divorce decree. If he doesn't pay voluntarily and you take him to court and (presumably) win, there are various mechanisms you can sue to recover the money from him. Probably the most commonly used in a case like this would executing or levying on his bank account (also called garnishing his bank account)--taking money directly out from his bank account--or garnishing his wages, which is getting a portion of his income sent directly to you. Note that you can generally garnish more for spousal or child support than you can for other debts (e.g. unpaid loans or credit cards), so garnishing wages is a powerful tool for collecting in cases like this. You should meet with a divorce or matrimonial attorny to discuss your options.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.