What to do if my husband has a warrant for his arrest in another state it is for receiving stolen property and dates back 12 years?

However he did not live in that state at the time of the warrant was issued he was on the other side of the U.S. we believe someone in his family who live out that way has used his social number. We can prove he was working and had no time off. What can we do? This issue continues to haunt us and has stopped him from getting many jobs.

Asked on March 8, 2013 under Criminal Law, Ohio


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You need to deal with the warrant and the stolen social security number as soon as you can.  What you need to do is to hire an attorney in the state and town where the warrant has been issued and let him or her arrange for your husband to turn himself in voluntarily.  Yes, he has to go there and do so.  Gather all the evidence that you have for the attorney that represents him to allow him or her the ability to show the Prosecutor that what you say is true: he has an alibi for the time frame of the charge.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.