What to do if my husband threatened to kidnap my baby when he was paroled from prison and now I want to file for a divorce but I’m afraid he will attempt to hurt me or kidnap my toddler?

I moved out of state. Is there anything I can do? I don’t know his address and I do not want to risk him knowing were I reside for safety issues.

Asked on December 10, 2015 under Family Law, Washington


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

There are ways to file for divorce without listing your specific address.  You need to seek out an organization that assists women who have been emotionally or physically abused.  Threatening to take your child is certainly a form of abuse.  If he is still in prison, this is the perfect time to seek a divorce... because it will enable you to get the process finalized before he gets out of prison.  If you can't find a women's organization to assist you, contact your local clerk of the court to see if they are aware of any programs in the area to assist you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.