What are my rights if my husband found that I have been cheating on him and he threw me out of the house, took my credit cards and car keys and will not let me see our children without supervision?

He kicked me out of the house last night. He took my debit card (my only form of money for our joint checking account), the keys to my van (the vehicle loan is only in his name) and said that he will be filing a protective order without supervision?against me so I will only be allowed supervised visits with our 2 children (ages 3 and 1). He called my parents, who came to pick me up, and I was allowed to stay at their home last night. My mother brought me to work this morning. I need to know if he can legally take everything and leave me with absolutely nothing at all. How do I go about getting money and my vehicle?

Asked on December 9, 2015 under Family Law, Indiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

No, he *can't* throw you of your marital home or take all your marital assets (e.g. your joint checking account). If you go to the police, they should help you get back into your home..though you would be better off going to a family law attorney, who will know how to file legal papers so as to get you not just back into your home but also access to money and a vehicle. The attorney will also be able to protect your interests in a divorce, so as to make sure you have the most access to, or even potentially custody of, your children as possible, and get the most spousal support you can and a fair share of your assets. You should speak with a family law attorney immediately.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.