What can I do if my husband filled for our divorce 16 months ago but now refuses to make the final court date?

The county says I cannot make the court date because I am the defendant. How can I get this divorce finalized?

Asked on December 8, 2015 under Family Law, Illinois


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You need to counterpetition for divorce so that you can also become a plaintiff and thereby set a court date.  Land of Lincoln Legal Aid is only one of the resources you can tap into.  Call your local clerk and state bar to get a list of other resources available in your area including clinics to help you complete any necessary documents.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.