If my husband filed for divorce ut says no child support or he will go after my VA disability, can he do that?

I really need a lawyer pro-bono to help. I believe he should give some kind of child support but neither of us can afford it. I am the co-signer on his student loans and we are joint on both the houses we were unable to sell and our cars. I’m afraid that he might get some of my pay and that my credit will get worse but I believe he should pay for at least 1 week of childcare weekly. I don’t know what to do and he has a friend who is an attorney representing him. This is suppossed to be non-contested but he’s been cruel and I think I need to contest.

Asked on June 5, 2012 under Family Law, Ohio


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You need to hire an attorney. Period. You will be wise to at least speak with one and look to legal aid to and the state bar to help with those who can help for low cost or no cost. Essentially, if you have minor children, he must pay child support. There is no choice and he can in most states land himself in jail for failure to pay if there is an order to pay.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.