If my husband filed an uncontested divorce and I have no idea the decree was signed and stamped, what should I do?

I can’t get a copy of the final decree.

Asked on November 8, 2011 under Family Law, Georgia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Oh my goodness I am so sorry.  But I am a bit perplexed as to why you can not get a copy.  Generally speaking,  the parties to a lawsuit - any type of lawsuit including and most definitely a matrimonial action - can ALWAYS get a copy of the decree and even review the entire file, which you should.  May I ask: are you happy about the matter because if you are not then you should take a copy a of the file and consult with an attorney.  Truthfully, if the Court denies you access to the file you should retain an attorney for some clout. He or she will be able to obtain the file with out a problem.  Good luck to you.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.