If my husband fell while mowing lawn and sufferered severe spinal chord injury, what are our rights?

We contacted the company holding our homeowner’s policy. They said he was not covered. Currently our health insurance was terminated. He is partially paralyzed we only now have 1 small income of $1000 a month. Using all of his IRA to pay bills. He was injured, in therapy and terminated for 6 months. He returned to therapy for only 1 month and then wasn’t notified until 3 weeks later that our insurance was terminated. We now have about $20,000 in medical bills. We have applied for SSI but that will take about 9 months. Do we have any recourse against the lawnmower company or rehabitatation hospital?

Asked on October 3, 2014 under Personal Injury, Pennsylvania


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Unless the lawnmower was defective and that is the reason your husband fell, you do not have a claim against the lawnmower company.  If you believe the lawnmower was defective and the reason your husband fell, then contact a product defect attorney.  It does not sound like you have a claim against the hospital.  Have you applied for your state Medicaid program?  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.