If my husband drinks and drives and gets into an accident, am I going to be liable if someone gets hurt?

He’s had 2 prior DUI’s about 10 years ago before we met. We have joint bank accounts and his car is registered under both our names. Also, if I am aware he is driving under the influence but unable to stop him, can I be at fault if something happens?

Asked on July 16, 2012 under Criminal Law, Georgia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of most states in this country, if your husband is involved in an accident under or not under the influence of alcohol where he causes the accident and and someone is injured, there is a possibility that any resulting judgment could go against your interest in the assets of your marriage.

It is imperative that you have insurance for the cars you and your husband drive and that he does not drive when he has alcohol in his system.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.