What can I do if my husband died and the trustee he appointed has taken over and won’t give over any of financial info of my husband’s?

He says he is now in charge and is now like my husband it will be like that forever. Is that true? How can this man take all my husband’s stocks bonds and money?

Asked on September 15, 2015 under Estate Planning, Maryland


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can file a lawsuit against the trustee for breach of trust and have the trustee removed and a successor trustee appointed.  Your lawsuit should seek the remedy of a constructive trust.  A constructive trust means that the trustee will be required to return any money, stocks, bonds, etc.  which he has taken, to the trust.  A constructive trust can also be used to trace assets to any acquisitions by the trustee  and return those items or their value to the trust.
Your lawsuit can be filed in MD because a lawsuit can be filed in the state where the plaintiff resides or in the state where the defendant resides or in the state where the claim arose.  For convenience purposes, such as filing documents with the court and court appearances, it would be advisable to file your lawsuit in MD where you reside.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.