If my husband died and did not leave a Will, how can I sell our house in order to buy a smaller one?

Asked on September 15, 2015 under Estate Planning, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If you and your husband had a small estate and you both were on the title, then you can sell the house after obtaining an affidavit of heirship.  This is a simple affidavit or letter to the public that declares you are the surviving person on the title or that you are the only heir to the estate. 
If there are other heirs and you are not on the title, you may need the other heirs to waive their interest.  There are ways to avoid probate.  Talk to a probate and real estate attorney.  Either will more than likely have the forms that you need to make it happen.  As long as there is not a difficult heir, this should be a simple process.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.