What to do if my husband cosigned for a credit card for his friend but the friend quit paying the bills and now it is in collections?

My husband was under the impression that the friend was using the card for lawyer expenses. We requested a copy of the credit card statement and he did pay off his the lawyer expenses but also bought shotguns and a stero system. Do we have legal recourse against him for anything?

Asked on March 17, 2014 under Bankruptcy Law, Kansas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Yes, if your friend charged expenses which, under the agreement between your husband and him, he was not supposed to charge, you could sue him to recover what he paid for those things. In the meantime, however, your husband is fully liable on the credit card and the credit card company can sue your husband if not paid.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.