How do we change the police report?

My husband and I were struck by a drunk driver who was going way over the speed limit. The State police said, on the scene, that the other driver failed all of his field sobriety tests and that he was severely impaired. They administered a breathalyzer test at the station and he blew a .07. The other driver was taken away in a police car about 30 minutes after the wreck happened. He got off on a technicality. And then, when we saw the police report, the fault was pinned on my husband–the driver of our car. The report says that we merged into the right lane and struck the other vehicle in doing so.

Asked on October 30, 2013 under Accident Law, New Jersey


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You can not "change" the police report.  However, what the police report says does not necessarily dictate who is found at fault by the insurance carriers and who has to pay for the damages.  Presumably you have called your insurance company and reported the accident and filed a claim with the at-fault drunk driver's insurance company.  The insurance companies will sort it out.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.