What to do if my husband and I were on the same insurance at the time that we had our baby who came 3 months early but she passed 3 days later and now the insurance company is denying our claim?

Our baby did not survive and only lived for 3 days. The insurance company is refusing to cover the baby’s medical expenses since we didn’t have a SSN for her. So when we went to get a social, we were denied because the baby was deceased. What do we do because we are being faced with $46,000 in medical bills just for having a baby?

Asked on September 20, 2015 under Insurance Law, Tennessee


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Sorry to hear about your baby.
It would be advisable to file a bad faith claim against the insurance company for its denial of covering medical expenses for a baby that lived for three days and did not have a Social Security Number.  You should also file a complaint with your state's Insurance Commissioner.  File the complaint with the Insurance Commissioner before pursuing a bad faith claim because the bad faith claim is expensive in terms of legal fees unless you find an attorney willing to take the case on a contingency fee basis which means attorney is paid a percentage of the amount recovered.  The bad faith claim will be time-consuming.
Another alternative would be to file bankruptcy.  If you are eligible to file Chapter 7, the medical bills can be eliminated.  Chapter 7 bankruptcy is straight liquidation which will eliminate the medical bill debt.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.