What to do if my “husband” and I were married 3 months ago but the priest doesn’t know if he submitted his end of the paperwork and we’ve yet to receive our marriage license?

We have to wait 90 days to hear back from the state. Would it hurt to “get married” again? At the courthouse?

Asked on January 17, 2013 under Family Law, New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The best way to get the matter concerning finalizing your marriage done is to get another copy of your marriage license and have the priest that married you sign it a second time as well as date it. Once done, you take it back to the county department of vital statistics and have it filed while getting a copy of it for your records.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.