Can I have my husband’s aunt arrested for breaking, entering, tresspassing and taking inherited items from our home?

My husband and I were left a house by his father when he passed away. His father bought the house from his grandparents and some of the furniture and all the appliances belonged to his grandparents. We have been living in the house for over a year, however my usband lost his job so we moved in with another family member until we can get back on our feet. We’ve been going back go check the mail once a week and to make sure everything is OK. We went there today but everything was gone. One of his aunts broke in and took all the stuff, saying that it was her mother and father’s and that she was not giving it back.

Asked on February 26, 2013 under Estate Planning, Arkansas


Victor Waid / Law Office of Victor Waid

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You are advised to go to the local district attorney to file a complaint and report of theft; in addition seek the assistance of probate litigation counsel to assist you to file a petition for probate to recover the items and or the value.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.