If we purchased a pool just over a year ago but have had several problems with it, can we file a lawsuit based on poor workmanship and defective materials?

We have had the pool company out 4 times to fix leaks in the plumbing and now the flagstone coping and concrete have cracked. They are now saying it’s not in warranty because it’s been over a year.

Asked on September 20, 2012 under Business Law, Texas


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If your lawsuit is based on poor workmanship and defective materials, your lawsuit would be for negligence.

Negligence is the failure to exercise due care (that degree of care that a reasonable pool company would have exercised under the same or similar circumstances to prevent foreseeable harm).  If you are claiming that the product itself is defective, then the standard of care would be that degree of care that a reasonable manufacturer would have exercised under the same or similar circumstances to produce a product that is not defective.

To prove negligence, you will need to prove duty (of due care) mentioned above, breach of the duty of due care (failure to exercise due care), actual cause, proximate cause, and damages.

Actual cause means but for the pool company, would the plumbing have leaked and/or would the concrete have cracked?  If the answer is no, actual cause has been established.  Proximate cause means are there any unforeseeable, intervening acts which would relieve the pool company of liability?  If the answer is no, proximate cause has been established.  Damages means the amount of compensation you are seeking in your lawsuit for negligence.  Your damages would be the cost of repairs.  You will need to mitigate (minimize) damages by selecting a contractor to do the work whose fees are comparable to other contractors in the area doing this type of work.  If you were to select the most expensive contractor you could find to repair the damage, you would have failed to mitigate damages and your damages would be reduced accordingly.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.