If my husband and I own a single family home, can we still create a revocable living Trust between the spouses?

We do not have any children and live in a community property state.

Asked on June 8, 2014 under Estate Planning, Nevada


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

In Community Property states - such as your state of Nevada - married couples can indeed create a joint revocable living trust.  You will have to re-title your property to the name of the trust in order to fund it. I would strongly suggest that you go and speak with an expert on the matter.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.