If my husband and I own a property together, how do I go about removing my name from this property?

Asked on July 13, 2015 under Real Estate Law, Louisiana


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can file a quitclaim deed.  A quitclaim deed releases your entire right, title, and interest in the property.  The quitclaim deed is signed in the presence of a notary and then filed with the County Recorder's Office.

The quitclaim deed is effective upon being filed with the County Recorder's Office.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.